Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Resort Room Organization 101

In addition to being a proud contributor to The Affordable Mouse and Magical Blogorail Yellow, I am also a contributor for WDW Fan Zone.  About two Wednesday's per month you will find my WDW Fan Zone articles reposted here at Disney Guru. Be sure to check out WDW Fan Zone for a plethora of Disney news, travel tips and information. 

Enjoy!! 

Resort Room Organization 101
Saving money is always a number one priority for our Disney World vacations. Often times we stay at Disney’s Pop Century Resort. By staying there we save money, feel at home and are still fully immersed in the Disney magic!!  The past three trips we have taken have included all 5 of us, my husband our 3 kids and myself.  While we love our stays at Pop Century we are growing out of their rooms. Before our most recent trip I decided to sit down and figure out what I could do to better utilize the small space we would be living in for the next 10 days. 

Hangers & Suitcases

When you arrive in your room unpack all of your clothes and lay them out on the bed.  Use the drawers for small items like, socks, underwear, swimwear, and snacks.  If you are traveling with a baby you could probably get the baby clothes into one drawer.  Place the suitcases on the top shelf slid all of the way back in the shelf so that they are flush with the mirror. We pile the suitcases on top of each other so that we have more space.  By doing this you leave some space at the front of the shelf. You will notice that you only have about 10 hangers in your room. You can do one of two things, call mousekeeping and request more hangers….yes they will give them to you, or you can bring some extra hangers from home. Hangers come in packs of  10-12 from the dollar store. We hang up all of our clothes, which allows for more space in the drawers.

No More Messy Sinks!!

I learned this tip years ago from other Disney fans I know. I absolutely cannot stand having all of my toiletries all over the sink. Not only do I feel that it is difficult for mousekeeping to go around all of my personal items to clean but it is hard to get ready in the morning when your stuff is falling all over the place.  I purchased an over the door shoe hanger to keep bathroom supplies in as well as a suction cup toothbrush holder to suction to the mirror. This system has left me feeling totally at home and it helps minimize clutter around the sink.

Pop Up Hampers & Bins

I cannot tell you enough how pop up hampers have changed the way I travel. I know it sounds minuscule but really it has helped.  You can get pop ups from the dollar store and also at the Target Dollar Spot.   I place two pop up hampers under the sink where all of the dirty clothes go.  I also leave one in the closet for shoes and one by the window for kid’s toys and such.  In addition, I purchase a small cloth pop up bin at the Target Dollar Spot. We leave this bin on the table and use It for anything we have in our hands when we walk in the door…cell phones, room keys, loose change, photopass, wallets… ect. This system has allowed my family to stay organized and to keep us from frantically looking for items in the morning.

Not enough outlets!!

We are in the age of technology, not only do we have phones but we have computers, game systems, ipods,  video cameras, cameras  and the list goes on. When you look around your room you will notice that there are not enough outlets to accommodate your charging needs.  I have a power strip that I plug into the outlet behind the table. I place it on the table and charge everything at once and all in one location. Yay!!!

This is great for drivers…what about flyers?

I know we have to be very careful about what we bring with us on our fights because we are surcharged for everything!!!  We usually fly Southwest which allows us 2 pieces of luggage per person at no charge. We will never use two per person so I take an extra piece of luggage and fill it with all of my organizational supplies.  If you are flying on another carrier, no problem, I have also boxed items up and shipped them via UPS right to my resort. It runs me about $20 and is well worth it.

Always remember an organized room makes for a more relaxing vacation experience. What is your room organizational strategy?

See ya real soon!
Kelly  

No comments:

Post a Comment