Friday, May 6, 2011

A Disney Bird's Dream for Epcot


Please give a warm welcome to Disney Bird! This is her very first "official" article here at Disney Guru. We are so very blessed to have her here. Please visit her on her website Disney Bird or visit her on Facebook and "like" her page. 

Hey, Bird here! This month at Disney Guru we’re focusing on Epcot, a Disney treasure. At first glance it may appear as though Epcot is missing that "Disney magic" or that "Disney flair" because it's not centered around Disney characters or movies. Upon closer inspection though, you can see that Epcot offers so much more than that. Epcot allows people to see both where we've come from and where we're headed, in addition to taking us on a trip around the world! Where else could you experience all of that in a single day?!

As I said last week, I'm no park expert (yet). My only recollection of Epcot was from my last trip in 2008. I'll be honest though, aside from a meandering stroll through the World Showcase, and checking out some other popular attractions, I too missed out on so much Epcot has to offer. As this was the case, I decided to take a different approach. I'll be listing what I am most looking forward to experiencing at Epcot in a few weeks and asking for suggestions for must see's.

Let me start by saying, I want to see everything at Epcot. The following list is just some of my top picks, and with 10 of us total, I'm sure there'll be several other attractions/stops on everyone's lists as well.

In Future World:

  • Spaceship Earth
    Especially looking forward to taking Bug on this one- a nice little history lesson

  • The Seas with Nemo & Friends
    I think Bubby is especially going to love this one, maybe as much as I did


  • Turtle Talk with Crush
    I had a blast with this one last time. I can't wait to see what the kids think of this little gem

  • Coral Reef Restaurant
    We have an ADR there for lunch on my anniversary

  • Club Cool near Innoventions
    To taste Coca Cola products from around the world
    What's that one I'm supposed to get everyone to try?!

  • Test Track
    Bug wants to do this one "whenever we go" as she is always saying


In World Showcase:

  • All of the World Showcase pavilions (that should go without saying), especially Germany
    My maternal grandmother is from Austria (my grandparents met while my Papaw was stationed there after the Korean War), and my mama and uncles were all born in Austria and Germany. My Nana took me both to Austria and Germany, as well as some surrounding countries the summer after 5th grade, and I was most intrigued. I really enjoy the culture and being able to come close to my "roots" at Epcot is wonderful.
     


  • Impressions de France show

  • Bijutsu-Kan Gallery in Japan

  • The Pearl Experience in Japan
    What's the pearl experience, you ask? Well, it's this amazing little "activity" you can do in one of the shops in the Japan pavilion. They have these tanks set up filled with all kinds of oysters, and for a price you get to pick one. They'll crack it open for you, and you keep the pearl inside! They will check the pearl out and let you know what it's worth, and for an additional price they'll even put it in a jewelry setting for you! We saw this on our last trip, and for whatever reason I didn't get one. Trust me, I kicked myself the rest of the trip for not doing it!


  • Paper Fans in Japan
    I heard about these great little souvenirs from DeAnna at The Affordable Mouse. You can purchase an inexpensive paper fan and take it to the back counter where they will personalize it with your name written in Japanese, for free! They also provide you with gift boxes and stickers for the boxes, also free. Thanks, DeAnna for the wonderful tip!

  • American Heritage Gallery

  • La Bottega Italiana in Italy
    I'm looking forward to checking out the Venetian masks here

  • Der Teddybear in Germany (German toy shop)

  • Kunstarbeit in Kristall in Germany featuring glassware

  • Sussigkeiten in Germany (German confections)

  • Volkskunst in Germany
     To check out the cuckoo clocks. Visiting at my grandparents, I always enjoyed seeing their cuckoo clocks brought straight over from Germany

  • Weinkeller in Germany
    To do some wine tasting (I love German wines!)

  • Die Weihnachts Ecke in Germany
    To get some Christmas ornaments and check out the nutcrackers. When Boo and I were there I came home with 4 Christmas ornaments!

  • Sommerfest in Germany
    To maybe enjoy an afternoon meal, possibly a frankfurter or bratwurst with sauerkraut- yum!!

  • Reflections of China show
    360ยบ show shown in the Temple of Heaven (no seats, standing only)

  • The Chinese acrobats, street performers

  • House of Whispering Willows, an exhibit of ancient Chinese art

  • Mexico's frozen drink stand
    My hubby and I shared some frozen margaritas while strolling the promenade and since I'll be there on our anniversary (sadly, without him) I hope to enjoy one and relive the wonderful memories of our '08 trip :-)



 We'll also be attempting to tackle all of the KidCot fun stops along the way, and maybe the passport as well. I'm also very much looking forward to seeing IllumiNations!!

Some of you may have noticed a BIG attraction (or two) missing from my list... Soarin'. The hubby had been on it before and wasn't all that impressed, so we skipped right over it last time. I'm not quite sure what he didn't like about it because it seems like quite an experience to me. However, unless someone else in the group really wants to do it, I'm not hard-up to stand in the outrageous lines for it this time around since the kids are really too little for it. I'd rather spend the time doing something we could all enjoy. I have faith it's not going anywhere anytime soon :-)

So, there you have it- my Epcot To-Do list! Please, I'd love to hear your suggestions! I'm looking forward to this month's posts from the true Disney Gurus here- I'll be taking notes!

My next post won't be until after I return from Disney (where hopefully I'll be a little closer to "Guru" status, lol), but in the meantime, please feel free to come see me at DisneyBird.

See ya soon!
Bird

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun to get closer to your "roots" in the Germany Pavilion! I do have to say that we love Soarin! We missed it on our last trip, but it will be a top priority next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bird ~ I love you article and the fact that you are you are diving into Disney full force, I love it!! I have to say that you are going to LOVE LOVE The Seas with Nemo!!! This is one of our all time favs! Hubby and I can ride this over and over again and never tire of it. I can still hear shawn singing Under the Sea everytime we are in line! I can't wait to hear about your first time experiences as soon as you get back! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Belinda....I know! Reading this makes me want to be there even more. I am printing this list and brining it with me so that I can partake in all of the things listed that we have never done before. But....Soarin' is always on my list...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure some others in our group will want to try Soarin' so if I can manage I'll definitely do it! Sounds like I'll be missing out if I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you've been able to get all that in. Sounds like an amazing day. I LOVE EPCOT!!

    ReplyDelete